Monday, August 29, 2011

The Perfect Chicken Pot Pie


I've been making this recipe for at least a year now, and I think I've finally got it how we like it. Here's what I do:

Crust
Sometimes I use a Pillsbury pie crust and that works fine too. In case you want to make your own crust, here's the recipe I use. It can be pretty thick, so I skip the bottom layer and just put one on top. Just mix the following with a pastry cutter.

1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground sage
2 tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk

Pie Filling: 
Stir the following together until thick and bubbly

1 TB butter
1/4 C flour
3/4 C milk
2 tsp chicken bouillon (I use Better than Bouillon)
1 C water
dash of pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp salt

Then add:

1 C shredded chicken or turkey
16 oz of your preferred vegetables (I like the California blend)

Cook a bit longer until the frozen vegetables are heated through. Pour into a 9 inch pie pan and place rolled out crust on top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. If you use a store bought crust, follow the temperature and time listed on the package.


Notes
  • For the chicken, I fill a crock pot full of chicken breasts and cook them slowly throughout the day. Then I shred the chicken and put them in individual baggies, 1 to 2 cups in each bag. I store them in the freezer and use them throughout the month to cut dinner prep time.
  • If you double this recipe, it fits nicely into a 9X13 pan and if you double the crust recipe it will fit nicely on top. One pie serves our family of two adults and two small children, but if there's ever company I double the recipe.
  • I like to use Better Than Bouillon, because it doesn't have MSG. You can buy it in most stores by the regular Bouillon. It looks like this.   

    1 comment:

    1. Looks yummy. I love pot pies. I'll have to try this one. I like that it doesn't have Cream of chicken in it but it still looks easy.

      ReplyDelete