Wednesday, February 20, 2013

No Roll Pie Crust (AKA the world's easiest and best)

I love this pie crust because it is very simple with practically no clean up. I make everything in the pie dish I bake it in, so you don't even have to clean a mixing bowl. I also love that it uses oil (healthier than Crisco or butter). I use canola oil, but others should work as well. This crust is pretty much fool proof, plus it turns out quite flaky and tastes delicious. This recipe works with any kind of sweet filling.

Add the following to a pie dish (regular or deep dish):
1 1/2 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Mix very well with a fork. You don't want to have a bite of crust that's too heavy on salt. Make a well hole in the center, and add the following:

1/2 C oil
2 TB milk


Mix together with a fork until it doesn't really mix any more. Use your hands to knead the dough into a ball, cleaning the sides of the dish with the ball of dough.

Press down into the dish however you like, and use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake at 450 degrees for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this! Do you think you have to bake it on its own first, and then again with the filling? When I make a chicken pot pie, I use the frozen rolled up pillsbury dough and just pour the filling in and bake it all together - do you think that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I make Apple pie, I bake the crust for 4-5 minutes, then put the filling in and bake it for 45 minutes. It may also work to not bake it at all beforehand, but I haven't tried that. I do think this recipe is best for sweet pies though. I tried it with chicken pot pie and didn't like it as much.

    ReplyDelete